Learn the tools and technologies needed to meet the challenges of tomorrow by becoming a Certified Digital Marketing Professional. Download a brochure today!
We are living deep in the heart of a digital age. As a result of the rapid evolution of the digital world, 95% of startups have formed digital business plans, with most traditional businesses embarking on some form of digital transformation journey.
As a result of this seismic shift in the landscape, there are more digital marketing opportunities out there than ever before - but is securing your dream digital marketing job possible without any previous experience?
We’ve all got to start somewhere which means knowledge and education is a must: if you showcase a working grasp of the fundamentals as well as an understanding of relevant market trends, you will give yourself the best possible chance of success in digital marketing.
Once you’ve gained a solid digital marketing skillset, you will no doubt want to get out there and find the job of your dreams.
Securing Your Dream Job
To secure a role that will lead onto a fulfilling long-term career in digital marketing you may have to take prior measures to showcase your skills, reliability, adaptability, passion and expertise. That said, there are businesses out there that are looking for talented upstarts that they can teach, develop and upskill on the job.
However, to be a competitive candidate and stand out to prospective employers, there are certain dos and don’ts that will help make or break your application.
What You Should Do
- Be proactive and apply to all entry-level digital marketing jobs you feel will be worthwhile, even if you might not be the perfect fit.
- Add your CV and bio to LinkedIn and a host of other reputable job marketplaces to make yourself visible recruiters.
- Be active on social media, sharing your niche industry knowledge, sparkling dialogues with people you feel could be influential to your career and showcasing your social media marketing competency.
- Continually learn and stay up to date with the latest industry news and trends by regularly reading popular publications that are relevant to your niche.
- Start a blog and regularly produce compelling articles on a relevant subject matter to demonstrate your knowledge, marketing skills and a unique tone of voice.
- Put an ample amount of time into every one of your applications, researching your employer in detail and tailoring your covering letter, CV and any other communications to the role, specifically.
What You Shouldn't Do
- Exaggerate or lie about your skills, experience or credentials; if you do land yourself a job and you've been untruthful, you won't keep it for long.
- Send out blankets of generic CVs or covering letters hoping to land yourself an entry-level digital marketing job - if you do, your application will be sent straight to the bottom of the digital slush pile.
- Be complacent with your learning: knowledge and consistency are two of the biggest drivers of success in digital marketing.
- Give up or be afraid to ask for expert advice, assistance or mentorship if you feel you need it.
Is it possible to get a digital marketing job without any experience? Yes, it is, but in a field that is ultra-competitive, constantly changing and continually challenging, there are no shortcuts to success: to succeed you will have to put in the hours learning your craft, honing your skills and persisting until you land that first dream role.
To help you on your quest for digital marketing domination, here are some tangible tips on kickstarting your digital marketing career .